May 17, 2010

DON'T CROWD YOUR EGGS


I pulled out some of my old journals the other night. I am amazed at how clear things become when I read about them a year later. I look back at some of my entries and wonder, "Who is this girl and why can't she see that this guy is a douche!?" One thing in particular became very clear to me. I have a tendency to put all my eggs in one basket. 

After "what’s-his-nuts" was done dawdling around in my life, I saw what I had been doing wrong for the previous 7 months. I was putting all of my energy into the relationship. And the more eggs I put into his basket, the sooner they began to rot. I did this a lot in the past. I did it in my marriage, in my stint with "hairy balls," and with "good ole honky tonk boy," too. (Man I miss him.) I even did it with "cry baby." Poor thing. 

Now that I've seen the light, I have a lot of different baskets in my life. I have my friendship basket, my family basket, my art/photography basket, my blog basket, my pet basket, my volunteer basket, my work-out basket, my sit on the porch by myself and drink a bottle of wine basket, etc. And honestly, I'm happier than I've ever been. Truly happy. A little lonely at times, but that's what Boy Toys are for, right gals? (Boy Toy high five!) 

Now my eggs are distributed amongst all my baskets. They have room to breathe and tons of space to do whatever it is that eggs like to do. Sometimes, though, I'll take eggs out of one basket to visit another basket when that basket is feeling a little low. Like when my family was cleaning out my gramma's house on what would have been her 90th birthday. I pulled eggs from a few other baskets to put into my family basket for the day. My pet basket wasn't thrilled since he spent the day in the cage, but tonight I intend to put the eggs back into his basket and take him to the dog park.

Listen, I'm not saying that there should be a certain amount of eggs in each of your baskets all the time, ladies. But I do think that when you start piling the eggs into one basket, they feel smothered and that's when they start to go bad. So! I think you should go to Michael’s, take your 40% off coupon, buy some fun, colorful baskets and a label maker. Then let your "significant other" basket know that you plan to lighten his load, and let your eggs have a little fun in a different basket for once!

No comments:

Post a Comment