June 10, 2010

A CHAMPION MAKES HER OWN EGGS



"Never a good egg? Are you just this unlucky or do seek out these bad eggs?"
-Anonymous


GREAT POINT, anonymous. I'm so glad you posted. Well, let's address this question in parts.

First off, yes, I was that girl who sought out the bad eggs. I did it without even knowing I was doing it. See my post, "This is just a test" about loving bad boys. This is why the blog exists. I'm learning to watch for red flags, listen to my gut, never trust a playa, etc.

Secondly, yes, I have had some good boyfriends. Let's talk about them. I'll tell you why I threw out these perfectly good eggs.

I had a great guy a long time ago. I've mentioned him a few times, "Good Ole Honky Tonk Boy." He was so good to me. He was the whole package...gorgeous, hard-working, generous, doting, loving, fun and I was head over heels for him. Then he went through a rough patch. Life does that sometimes. He asked me to give him some space to tend to his issues, so instead I clung to him like a velcro monkey on crack. He got spooked so he made a run for it and I don't blame him. It's safe to say I don't do that anymore. Lesson learned: people have their own lives which do not and should not revolve around me.

Another good egg was a younger fella I dated a year or two ago. We'll call him "The Egglet." He was a sweetheart. He would have lopped off his arm, marinated it, and grilled it for dinner if I asked him to. Then he would have done the dishes. But he caught me after a dry spell. My expectations were a bit over the top. I hadn't dated anyone in two years and I forgot that men weren't women with penises, or mind readers. Does every man say that, by the way? "I'm not a mind reader!" Anyway...So "The Egglet" made a few mistakes, as men do, and I pulled the rug out from under him. I made him feel like he had just come back from a baby-seal-slaughtering expedition...laughing. I still feel bad about that. I didn't want to admit that we just weren't right for each other, so instead I played the blame game and made an innocent guy feel terrible about himself. More lessons learned: No one is perfect, honesty is always the best policy, and karma is a bitch (see my posts regarding "what's-his-nuts").

When I was with the good eggs, I was pre-red-flag-acknowledgement, ladies. I had a lot to learn about dating. I had a lot to learn about myself. And I definitely learned my lessons. All of the eggs, good or bad, have taught me something about life and love. So it is because of them that I now seek out that one Golden Egg. And that is what it's all about, isn't it?  "Finding yourself" as they say? So, after all the eggs I've had in the past decade or so, I'm ready to grab just one last egg and give the rest up for good. I'm sick of eggs!

3 comments:

  1. Very eloquently said! At least you can look back at the good eggs and realize where you went wrong! That's takes a lot for most people to admit! Keep blogging, ref!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post! I completely agree that all eggs--good or bad--teach you valuable lessons. I hate to admit it, but even rotten eggs are good for something. Once you stop smelling the stench--or at least stop noticing it--you learn a lot about yourself, what you want and what you deserve. And it makes you appreciate that golden egg even more when you find it. And you will!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie & ZGnomes, I appreciate your positive feedback. We should go out for eggs!

    ReplyDelete